Thursday, July 06, 2006

Chupa Chups Temples

Well, I'm still in Hoi An! Half an hour before catching a 24 hour bus down south I changed my mind and booked a seat on a plane! It might not be the cheapest way down, in fact the two seats costs us around 2 million. I know that that's just 60 pounds between us, but handing over 2 million in cold, hard cash is still a little unnerving! We're flying out tonight (6th) so we had another night in the nice hotel yesterday. Well actually we stayed next door because the other one was full. But since the names of the hotels are the ultra-imaginative Thanh Binh 2 and Thanh Binh 3 there wasn't any noticable difference!

I know that they say ït's a small world", and I'm pretty sure that Vietnam is a bit smaller again, but since getting tyo Hoi An we've bumped into four people that we met in Halong Bay, 24 hours away by bus! I got lost the first night (it's a tiny town, but I've managed to get lost twice already!) and was quite glad (suprised, but glad!) to hear an Aussie voice shouyting "Gitso" from across the street. Turns out that two of the Aussies from the boat had just flown down and even more miracously managed to direct me back to my hotel! And then when we came back from booking the plane yesterday, the italian couple were just standing outside out hotel, having just checked in as well!

To be honest though it isn't as much a coincidence as I first thought, the Australian girls who had recomended the hotel to us had done the same to pretty much everyone else on the boat trip, there's two more Australians heading down to the hotel tomorrow, but we're not going to be flooded with Aussies again, we'll be long gone by then!

Yesterday we went to see the ruins of some ancient civilisation with a name that reminded me of Chupa Chups (Don't quite remember what, Chaps, Champers, Champ, something like that!). To be honest there wasn't much to see, the Americans had bombed the ruins repetedly during the war, you could still see the bomb craters! The place was called "My Son" so I took the obligitary photo of me under the My Son sign as a present for mam and dad.

It's stiflingly hot here, I know you lot are having a so-called "heatwave" back home, but compared to what we're enjoying/suffering here you might as well be in Antartica! When we woke up at 8am today it was already way too hot! It's only 11am now and we can't bear to be out in the sun, and it's going to get hotter and hotter for the next 3 hours! I never thought I'd miss good old Welsh weather, but when I come home, can someone arrange some rain for me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home